Cwltool factory invocation yields subdirectories with symlink listings

Salutations,

If you don’t have time to read/investigate all of this right now, would you mind leaving any helpful resources you’ve found for properly using cwl.Factory?

When invoking cwltool from Python via the CWL Factory, directory outputs do not contain their resolved output files. Instead they contain symlinks which point back to themselves. When running the same workflow via cwltool command line, the files in these directory outputs are properly resolved and are not symlinks.

After some debugging it appears the file resolution step is skipped within cwltool.process.stage_files() on line 288:

if not entry.staged:
    continue

This “staged” determination is made by the PathMapper constructed on line 399. PathMapper properly populates the resolved field of its MapperEnts but on line 114 in cwltool.pathmapper.visit(), the directories are flagged as staged = False and this determination propagates down the directory tree during the recursive call to cwltool.pathmapper.visitlisting()

I have scoured the setup procedure in cwltool.main.main() but cannot figure out why output directories are being correctly flagged as staged when invoking cwltool via command line, but not when using cwltool.Factory.

Here is my Python invocation of cwltool.Factory:

def run_native(config_object, cwl_path, run_directory, debug=False, parallel=False):
    def furnish_if_file_record(file_dict):
        if isinstance(file_dict, dict) and file_dict.get('class', None) == 'File':
            file_dict['basename'] = os.path.basename(file_dict['path'])
            file_dict['location'] = file_dict['path']
            file_dict['contents'] = None

for _, config_param in config_object.config.items():
        if isinstance(config_param, list):
            for config_dict in config_param:
                furnish_if_file_record(config_dict)
        else:
            furnish_if_file_record(config_param)

runtime_context = cwltool.factory.RuntimeContext({
        'secret_store': cwltool.secrets.SecretStore(),
        'default_stdout': subprocess.PIPE,
        'default_stderr': subprocess.PIPE,
        'outdir': run_directory,
        'on_error': "continue",
        'debug': debug
    })

cwl = cwltool.factory.Factory(
        runtime_context=runtime_context,
        executor=cwltool.executors.MultithreadedJobExecutor()   # Run jobs in parallel
        if parallel else cwltool.executors.SingleJobExecutor()  # Run one library at a time
    )

pipeline = cwl.make(f"{cwl_path}/workflows/main.cwl")
    pipeline(**config_object.config)

Thanks for taking the time!

Take a look at the cwltool.process.stage_files() function, that can be used to move files out of their various temporary locations into a single output directory.

@tetron Thank you for your response!

I’m somewhat familiar with cwltool.process.stage_files() (please see the first code block in my original post, not trying to be snarky).

The problem is when I invoke cwltool via Factory, stage_files() is called as part of cwltool.executor.execute()'s procedure via cwltool.process.relocateOutputs().

The crux of the issue is that PathMapper sees that my directory outputs have a location field starting with “file://” and therefore flags them as “not staged”; this makes stage_files() skip the step of resolving symlinks within these directories for final output.

This doesn’t happen when running the same workflow via cwltool via command line. I suspect this is due to something that I’m missing in my setup procedure seen in the second code block above.

I’ve also considered a post-workflow procedure to manually resolve the symlinks in the final output directories, similar to stage_files(), but unfortunately they are self-referencing links that don’t actually point to the original files. On the other hand I’m sure there’s a way to interrogate RunContext to find the original output directories in tmpdir but I would strongly prefer using cwltool.Factory properly.